Super Bowl Munchies
Although I am not an avid football fan, I do love Super Bowl Sunday. 90% because of the food at the parties. 10% because I like watching my husband watch football. 0% because I, myself, enjoy football. This year, these are the treats that I am making to munch on while we watch the gladiators fight – Sophisticated Chex Mix, and the best Onion Dip ever!
SOPHISTICATED CHEX MIX
* 5 cups Chex
* 1 1/2 cups mixed nuts
* 2 cups pretzels
* 4 tablespoons of melted butter
* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped thyme
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* pinch of cayenne
* Heat the oven to 250 degrees.
* In a bowl, combine the cereal, nuts and pretzels.
* In a different bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients until the sugar dissolves.
* Drizzle this evenly over the cereal mixture and then use your hands to stir, making sure to distribute everything evenly.
* Spread out the mixture on a baking pan and bake for about 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, until crisp and lightly toasted.
* Spread out on a paper towel-lined baking sheet to cool. Enjoy!
CARAMELIZED ONION DIP
I first had this onion dip at a friend’s birthday party, and I was that girl near the food who POLISHED off the dip. I asked my friend what was in it and her response was “you don’t want to know.” And, boy, was she right! So girls, if you are on a diet, this is not your dip. If you are vegan, this is surely not your dip. If you gag every time you see mayonnaise, then this is not your dip. But let me tell you, you are missing out. The recipe is adapted from Ina Garten’s on The Food Network.
* 2 large yellow onions
* 2 tablespoons of butter
* 1 tablespoon of oil
* salt and pepper, to taste
* 4 ounces of cream cheese
* 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
* 1/2 cup of sour cream
* Slice the onions, and then put them in a pan with melted butter and oil.
* Sautee them on medium heat for 10 minutes.
* After ten minutes, lower the heat and let them sit for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
* In a medium sized bowl, blend together the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayo until smooth consistency.
* Once the onions are cooled, add them to the creamy mixture and stir all together!
* Serve, devour, and try to forget what exactly the dip was made from! I PROMISE THAT THIS IS AMAZING.
Happy Super Bowl Sunday! Hope you all have a relaxing weekend! Who are you rooting for?
Anika Yael Natori, aka, The Josie Girl