Ombré is Here to Stay In Your 30s
Anything goes when it comes to one of the biggest beauty trends this summer—nail art. From ombré and colour blocking to tie-dye and texturizing, nails take centre stage in a very bold way this season.
Beauty expert Bahar Niramwalla recommends a nail trend for your 30s, how to do it at home and which products will help you get that look. All hail the artist nail!
Nail art trend to try:
“These ladies take their nails and nail art seriously and when they find something they like, they stick with it for a few months,” says Niramwalla. With a tendency to lean towards bright, bold, contrasting colours and daring patterns, Niramwalla suggests trying the single nail ombré mani in either bright contrasting colours, or a single shade, which goes from colour to clear.
How to do it:
1. Using a makeup sponge, which has been dampened with water. Paint the darkest colour in a line at the edge of the sponge (this is where the top of your nail gets the most colour).
2. Using your second darkest colour, paint another line on the sponge, just below the darkest polish shade.
3. Repeat this until all 3 to 4 polish colours are on the wedge. (A heads up—working with a little speed will help prevent the polish from drying on the sponge too quickly.)
4. Lightly remove any excess polish by tapping the painted side of the sponge on paper once or twice.
5. Line up the edge of the sponge (darkest colour) with the tip of your fingernail and press down firmly (yes, it will be messy, but clean up comes later).
6. Use a q-tip and polish remover to clean up the mess on your fingers and around he cuticle before topping up the nail art with a strong, shiny top coat.
Note: “This is probably one of the most labour-intensive trends. Ombré lends itself to a little imperfection; smudges and mistakes tend to look ok and are forgiven with this look but each nail may require you to reapply the polish stripes to the sponge to get the most vibrant colour effect.” You’ll need to give yourself about an hour from base to top coat.
Sephora by OPI Trend Tips, $14, sephora.com
Sally Hansen Salon Strength Nail Polish Remover, $4.69, well.ca
CoverGirl Makeup Masters Sponge Wedges, $3.19, well.ca
BUTTER LONDON Jaffa, $17, thebay.com
M.A.C Nail Lacquer, $19, maccosmetics.com
Dior Top Coat, $22, thebay.com