Simon Doonan & Jonathan Adler Dish on Their Dream Vacations - Tokyo and San Francisco
(Getty) Jonathan Adler and Simon Doonan
Ever wonder what it would be like to live—or vacation!—like New York fashion and design power couple Simon Doonan and Jonathan Adler? The duo, best known for their perfect taste, brilliant, witty quips, and laid-back all-around down-to-earth friendliness, have collaborated with Yahoo and American Express to design two ultimate dream-vacation itineraries—in Tokyo and San Francisco.
If you've ever wondered what famous fashion folks do on vacay, here are the highlights:
Tokyo - "Everyone who's in the visual professions, they all travel to Japan at some point," Doonan says. "The fabulous thing about going to Tokyo is that you don't need to bring a lot, because you know you're going to buy things."
Here's what Doonan and Adler would do if they had five days in Tokyo:
- Get custom-made silk suits in Harajuku.
- Visit department stores as soon as they open—and stay for lunch!
- Check out the Nezu Art Museum and don't forget to take a walk through its gardens
- Eat at the Ninja Akasaka restaurant—it's (surprise) ninja-themed!
- Shop at Roppongi Hills.
- Visit the Edo-Tokyo Museum for a taste of the city's history.
- Flex that credit card at Mitsukoshi and Parco, Adler and Doonan's favorite stores.
- Participate in a traditional tea ceremony at the Imperial Hotel.
- Take a side trip to Kyoto.
San Francisco - "San Francisco to me is exactly what you want it to be," Adler says, "it's just like in the movies, it's the hills, and it's the Victorian architecture, and it's the history."
Here's what Doonan and Adler would do if they had five days in San Francisco:
- Do the tourist thing at Fisherman's Wharf and then head to Union Square.
- Check out the trendy stores on Chestnut Street.
- Take the Alcatraz Night Tour—spooky!
- Of course, no trip anywhere is complete with a visit to the local Barneys New York outpost—Simon Doonan's mother ship.
- Same goes for the Jonathan Adler store in Pacific Heights.
- Take a day off to explore nature in the Muir Woods.
- Sip wine at the Winery Collective.
- Golden Gate Park is a must-see for visitors.
- And don't forget to take a cable car ride!
Love these itinerary ideas? Check out some of the other experts and celebs that spilled their vacay itineraries—right here.
What are your favorite places to go in Tokyo and San Francisco? Tell us in the comments! We have to go to San Fran all the time—last time the highlight of our tourist experience was seeing the Full House houses. Yup.